Are you planning a long distance move?
A long distance move is a huge undertaking. Even short distance moving is stressful and time-consuming. No wonder that long distance moves require extra effort to keep everything under control.
Moving away from your current city or state calls for much more than just finding a good moving company, says Eagle Property Management that assisted many of the tenants during their move. There are many tiny steps that all need great execution to make things smooth and simple.
Conducting a long distance move is not the right time to see if your improvisation skills are up-to-date. Any associated snag could become shockingly expensive both in terms of time and money.
Now we are going to list the top long distance moving tips that will help you prepare for the moving days. Follow through with these suggestions to make your big moving project as seamless and low-stress as possible.
- Furniture: The number one way to lower long distance moving costs is leaving most of your furniture behind. Since long distance moving costs depend on the shipment weight, your furniture will significantly raise your total bill.
- Long distance movers: Find the best company for long distance moving. This is not the playing field of companies that conduct moves within the city limits. Request multiple estimates from various companies. Professional movers will inspect your household in person. This helps them give you a more accurate estimate of the total cost of your move. If they're not willing to do that, be cautious of any quote you receive from those movers. Don't take the quotes as your only basis for making a decision. The cheapest quote may in fact turn out to be more expensive in other ways.
- Packing supplies:
You need to make sure that the packing process is smooth and simple. In order to reach this goal, gather your packing materials in advance. You don't want to start sourcing for packing supplies at the last minute.
- Unwanted items:
Sell, gift, and donate all your unwanted personal belongings. This is a crucial step to cut your moving costs. As we mentioned before, your moving bill depends on the total weight (and number) of items you move between your two points on the map.
Always pack your mattress in a separate box. Unboxed mattresses get tarnished or damaged during long distance moves all the time. Just consider the fact that your personal belongings are likely to be handled by multiple moving teams.
- Liquids and food:
Refrain from packing any food or liquid items. The associated risks of getting ruined, crushed, or infested are extremely high. Keep in mind that problematic liquid items include bottles of cleaning agents and cans of paint.
- Delivery window:
Remember that most long distance moving companies provide something called a “delivery window”. There are many variables in such moving processes, thereby making it hard for companies to provide an exact date and time of delivery. Some moving companies do carry an optional extra fee for establishing guaranteed delivery dates.
- Moving insurance:
Consider obtaining moving insurance because most moving companies only offer a limited insurance policy. This is an especially important point of consideration if you are moving numerous highly valuable items.
Labeling all your boxes with your name is essential. That's because it's more than likely that the moving truck will carry boxes belonging to other movers. Proper labeling lowers the risk of delays and missing boxes.
Did you know that summertime is the most expensive period to hire long distance moving services? Most people opt for summertime moving, which drives up prices. Weigh the pros and cons of off-season moving. You could save hundreds of dollars on your moving services.
- Double-check all your
The best practice is to check all your belongings before the movers leave your home. Just go through the inventory list that has been shared with the moving company. Whenever something turns out to be missing, you can quickly react and the moving crew is able to start tracking the lost items.
The Bottom Line: Long Distance Moving Tips
Long distance moving is a big challenge. You should take extra care to ensure that you plan everything in advance. Any serious blunders during the preparation can result in significant expenses.
These are our top tips for long distance moving projects:
- Consider off-season moving to save money.
- Don't pack any liquid or food items.
- Get quotes from multiple long distance moving companies.
- Label all the boxes with your names.
- Sell, gift, or donate any unwanted items.
- Assess the need for moving insurance.
- Create a comprehensive inventory list before getting the quotes.
- Organize your packing supplies well in advance.
- Reduce the number of heavy furniture items.
Subscribe to Mid Cal Moving's Blog